Your oil filter helps to remove contaminants from the motor oil, keeping it as clean as can be. In that way, it works much like your air filters and fuel filter do, protecting essential systems from microscopic troublemakers.
How Your Oil Filter Works
It starts with the oil pump, which pushes oil into the filter's fibers. Those fibers capture the pollutants, allowing the pump to push cleaned oil back into the engine.
Oil filters don't last forever, though. They eventually degrade with age, though it's far more common for yours to get so clogged up that it can't continue to fully capture the contaminants. When that happens, your engine is put at risk of damage.
How to Spot Bad Oil Filters
Signs of failure include:
- Dirtier exhaust emissions
- Low oil pressure, usually indicating a leak
- Metallic sounds coming from the engine Engine spluttering
Buy Genuine OEM Oil Filters Online
If you don’t experience any of these symptoms, take a quick look at the maintenance schedule detailed in your owner's manual. It will tell you when you should plan to replace your oil filter to ensure that your engine continues performing right. When it is time to replace yours, don't make the mistake of choosing any but the ones made by your manufacturer. These are the only oil filters guaranteed to be compatible, ensuring the ideal seal that you need to avoid leaks. Find yours right here in our online auto parts store. Buy today and enjoy quick shipping right to your front door!
No results found for "oil filter". Here are some helpful search tips:
- Search by a part name. Example: water pump.
- Be less specific. Example: brake instead of ceramic brake.
- Remove information such as make, year or model.
- Can't find the part you are looking for? Contact us and we'll find it for you!